Tuesday, September 28, 2010

are you a deaf frog?


My brother shared a funny incident during his review for the NLE.

Their speaker told them a story about a contest among frogs. The goal was to reach the top of a very tall tower. The tower was quite tall and many of frogs started giving up as they tried to reach the very top. The audience did not help much. Seeing how tall the tower is, they shouted at the contestants that the feat is impossible and it'd be so much better if they gave up now. After quite some time, the race was over and one frog stood on top. Victorious.

Bryan: Why do you think did he get there?
Michelle: He's deaf?
Bryan: Right.

But the story doesn't end there. My brother happens to be "half-deaf". Sorry for the term but what I'm trying to say is he can only hear with one of his ears. Don't ask me which one because I get it mixed up all the time. (Peace, Yan!)

So, to continue on with the story, my brother was shocked that many kept looking and laughing at his direction. He was not really listening to the speaker (according to him) and did not get the ending the story. He only heard the speaker say, "the frog was duck" and could not see the powerpoint presentation from where he was sitting. He began defending himself by saying, "What?! I'm not a duck!".

LOL (My mama and I laughed too. :D)

Then again, the story does not end there. The speaker continued by saying that the essence of the story or the point he was trying to drive at was that the victorious (and apparently, deaf) frog is a metaphor for a board exam topnotcher who took the challenge despite the odds and did not listen to those who said that emerging on top was impossible. I told my brother then that the joke was now upon those who laughed at him. :)

He begged me not to make the story my FB status and so I obliged. He never told me not to blog about it though. HAHA! :D

Deaf frog or duck frog? My brother's made his choice. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment