Saturday, January 15, 2011

sinulog 2011

I will never forget the first time I went to see Señor Sto. Niño inside the Basilica. When I say 'see', I mean getting in line and be able to stand in front of His image inside the church. It was on the afternoon of September 26, 2009 ---the day before the first schedule of LET 2009. I was waiting for my friend Marisse in the Pilgrim Center when I realized that I have never gotten inside that small room where devotees would line up to whisper a prayer to the Holy Child. I went in and I guess the rest is history.

Ever since that afternoon, the Holy Child had a very special place in my heart. I've joined the procession and attended the novena masses many times in the past but what transpired that day (which could make up an entire entry altogether) moved me in such a way that every mass, every step in the procession and every line of Bato Balani sa Gugma became more personal. I wanted to complete the novena masses this year for His feast but I ended up two masses short. Nevertheless, this year's fiesta is still as meaningful and love-filled as ever.

I woke up early today to witness the fluvial parade but I was not able to stay long enough to see Him pass by where I was standing since I had to run to my Masters class at 8:00am. After class, I tried getting some work done in the office and then it was off to the procession with my college friends. The rain kept us a little longer at CNU but I think the delay was a blessing. We got the chance to listen to the CNU's Children's Choir tribute songs with live violin/organ accompaniment. It was a sight to behold, too! Devotees, foreign visitors and people passing by the university took time to stop, take pictures of the group and join them in their singing.

During the procession, we saw friends and students along the way. It was fun and overwhelming to get lost in a sea of devotees as we lined up and waited for the 'karo' of the Holy Child. When He passed by, I was left speechless. I was not even able to clap or shout 'Pit Señor!' right away. I was in awe of His majesty despite His very small representation. This is what the feast is truly about. It is about His love... that He loved us first and nothing we do will ever make Him love us any less. It is all about Him. =)

After that, we went to eat dinner at Mang Inasal (special mention to Jandel for paying for the drinks!). We had a fun two-truths-and-one-lie game and then Rhea, Lora and I went straight to the Basilica.

It was the very first time that I went inside the church for the pontifical mass. The shouts of the 'traditional Sinulog' song echoed through the walls and let me say it again.. overwhelming! It was raining very hard and it was hot inside the Basilica. People came from all directions and we had to squeeze our way through the crowd and we sang to our hearts content. The petitions made us laugh because we could really relate to most of them. We lost Rhea in the crowd for a while but despite the 'hardships' we had to endure, it was truly worth it. No one was complaining. We had smiles on our faces as we parted. The fiesta is, after all, a celebration of love which is evident in our lifelong friendships (thank you friends for sharing this day with me!).

I got home, took a warm bath and am now typing my way through this entry. What a day it has been and I can't help but share it. Pit Señor, everyone! Have a great Sinulog!

=)

No comments:

Post a Comment