Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 1: Assess Yourself

This entry is going to be the first of it's kind. =) My bestfriend, Maymay, and I have decided to join this online challenge about becoming better "us" in thirty days. Other than to "trying to be better versions of ourselves", I joined in because this is something I'd get to do with my bestfriend even if she's miles away from me. <3

First challenge is to answer these questions:
  1. If you were to rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 (in terms of your personality), how much would you rate yourself?
  2. Why did you give yourself the score in Q1?
    • State down specific reasons why – At least 3-5 points to explain your score.
    • Elaborate as much as you can. The more you write, the better.
  3. Now, write down 5-7 traits about yourself you want to work on.
    • These can be traits you don’t like about yourself, or traits you are okay with but you want to eradicate because they serve no value to you.
I am sharing my answers to the world! So to speak. Haha! Just because I can and I want to. No, really.. for some time now, I have been reading personal blogs more. Some of the writers I know in person but there are those who don't know me and some still who I have never met. Nevertheless, reading their entries have touched me in many ways. They don't write like Bo Sanchez or Paulo Coelho (two of my favorite bloggers). They just tell their stories. Their day-to-day stories sound so ordinary... and yet sometimes they just hit the right spot that leave me empowered in so many ways. Inspired by this, I decided to just write about my everyday stories too. Maybe somewhere out there, I get to inspire someone else.

So.. here are my answers.

1. I rated myself an "8". Reading through the sharings in the blog, a lot of people have rated themselves so low that I was wondering to myself if I rated myself right. But then again, if I changed my rating just so I can fit in the "trend", I would have defeated the purpose of the entire challenge. So, I am sticking to my answer.

2. I gave myself an "8" because I have always felt that I'm "almost there" but just not "there" yet. Eight may sound so high of a rating but for me, it's not really more of how high or low the score is... I just feel that I have been stuck in the same position for so long a time. In many angles, staying where you are is much worse that having no movement at all. That is how I have been feeling. It's not a very good feeling at all. I like myself but there are some things that I really "hate" about being me. I feel like I am pulled by two extremes that give the exact same pull that I end up not moving at all.

3. Traits that I would like to work on:
  • Indulging in self-pity/ Being a harsh self-critic
  • Lack of discipline
  • Fear of getting too close to people
  • Being unforgiving of self and others
  • Being too serious and sensitive
  • Over-thinking even in the simplest of matters
  • Low self-esteem
These are the first things that came to my mind. I hope I don't regret writing this entry in the morning. =)

Day 1 is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment